Important Things to Consider When Buying a Maternity BraNovember 17, 2017 3 min read
For many a mom-to-be, the instant of truth comes at about 16 weeks. That’s when your breasts begin to outgrow your carefully-chosen fashion bras in order to perform the feeding duties. Lingerie is an intimate item and has its own set of rules for pregnancy. According to experts, when your sleek and sexy undergarments no longer adhere to their responsibilities, it’s time for a maternity bra.
During pregnancy, the body goes through countless changes. Many women experience extreme changes in their breasts, especially during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. In fact, most women discover that they are unable to wear their regular bras as their pregnancy advances and their breasts get larger.
From what you know from years of buying fashion bras really doesn’t apply to the maternity market. Certain kinds of innerwear are must both during pregnancy and lactation. Maternity bras or nursing bras have an extra room already provided in them that compensates the enlargement of breasts during these times. They even have individual flaps on the cups which can be easily opened and closed for breastfeeding the child.
The science behind buying regular bra and maternity bra is totally different. So here are some tips from the experts on how to buy and fit a maternity bra.
- For the band size- Measure around your body, just under the arms, with a measuring tape. If the measurement is an uneven number, round up to the next even number.
- For the cup size- Take a bust measurement around the fullest part of your bust, using a measuring tape. Be sure the tape is flat against your back and level all around your body.
- Signs of a good fit: The cup conceals your breast with no “spills out.” The band is level all the way around and not riding up in back.
- Try them on- This is the only way to be sure that you’ve found a bra with a good fit.
- Buying a bigger fashion bra is never the solution. The fabric may fit around your enlarged breasts, but the design and construction of a fashion bra is sure not healthy for a pregnant woman.
- Buy multiple maternity bras for optimum health benefits
- Change the bra as per the change in your breast size. If you’re buying your first maternity bra in your first or even second trimester, keep in mind that you may have to make an additional trip in the final weeks.
Shopping for maternity bras can range anywhere from a confusing to an irritable to an ‘alright’ (while with friends, of course) experience. But with the right knowledge a mother can sharpen her perception and make herself skilful at locating what is right for her.
Latest posts by Kusum Manral (see all)
- Top 5 Best Bra Designs To Wear With Sarees - November 2, 2018
- Wondering What Bra Will Go Best With Lehenga Choli - November 1, 2018
- Top 10 Bras for Office Wear - October 31, 2018